MathGroup Archive 2012

Search the Archive

Re: Is there any efficient easy way to compare two lists with the same length with Mathematica?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg124451] Re: Is there any efficient easy way to compare two lists with the same length with Mathematica?
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 01:49:59 -0500 (EST)

Yes, you are of course correct, and I used "thread" and "listable" very
loosely rather than in their strict technical senses. Perhaps there's
some better term to describe what the behavior seems to be.

I was thinking, more generally, of the evolution of Mathematica to a
point where things like

   Solve[{2 x + 3 y, 5 x - y} == {0, 1}, {x, y}]

now work in Mathematica (and have through several versions) but, as I
recall, did not in earlier versions.

And I admit I'm spoiled by my experience with the array-processing
languages APL and J, where the scalar right-hand-side of the equivalent
of {1, 2} == 1 would be coerced into a length-2 list, so that the
expression would be interpreted as {1, 2} == {1, 1}, and then parallel
processed to give the equivalent of a {True, False} result.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu