MathGroup Archive 2009

Search the Archive

Re: Re: 0^0 = 1?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg95745] Re: [mg95683] Re: 0^0 = 1?
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:51:57 -0500 (EST)
On 25 Jan 2009, at 12:48, Dave Seaman wrote:

> Because it doesn't support your preferred answer?
>
> We define other operations (addition and multiplication, for
> example) by
> starting with the cardinals, then extending to the integers, the
> rationals, the reals, and then the complex numbers.  At each stage, we
> want the new definition to be consistent with the old.

That is not the point. The point is that the original reason why the
axiomatic approach to the so called "foundations of mathematics" was
adopted around the turn of the 19 and 20 century (Cantor's theory of
cardinal numbers, Zermelo-Frankel axioms, Peano's axioms for
arithmetic etc) were summed up in Hilbert's first and second problems.
In other words, it was the hope that one could "reduce" all
mathematics to a certain system of axioms and then establish the
consistency of this system and thus the consistency of all of
mathematics. The theorems of Goedel (and to some extent Cohen's
solution of the continuum hypothesis) showed that this hope was
futile. One consequence is that there is no advantage at all in
starting with abstractions such as sets or cardinals or even the "God
given" (according to Kronecker) integers. We are just as well or badly
off if we take real or even complex numbers as the starting point. In
fact this approach has the great advantage of being much closer to our
physical intuition. This is not just my opinion. Most mathematicians
today do not care about "the foundations of mathematics", except as
another area of pure mathematics, or relatively little usefulness. One
of the greatest living mathematicians, V.I. Arnold has been very vocal
in opposing the axiomatic approach to mathematics as very harmful. An
example of his views (quite widely shared) can be seen in this
(somewhat abridged) translation of an essay on the teaching of
mathematics:

http://pauli.uni-muenster.de/~munsteg/arnold.html

Of course this does not mean that Arnold's views have to be viewed as
some kind of holy writ, but only that in your statement "we define..."
etc. the "we" refers to a finite subset of the total set of all
mathematicians, and one of rather small cardinality.

In a computer program of course practical considerations should take
priority. Now, I indeed do not see any problems with 0^0 returning 1.
However, presumably in such cases one would also want 0.^0. to return
1, which actually could cause problems, since such expressions can
appear as a result of cancellations in the base caused by fixed
precision arithmetic. Returning 1. in such situations rather than
Indeterminate could be very misleading. Of course problems of this
type are inevitable with fixed precision arithmetic no matter what
conventions we adopt, but there is no point adding to them for no good
reason.

Andrzej Kozlowski