MathGroup Archive 2002

Search the Archive

Re:Full text of the current warning message(s)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33410] Re:Full text of the current warning message(s)
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 01:53:21 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Vladimir Bondarenko  wanted to see the full text of messages from a specific
In[]  line.  I get the job done with the following code which makes
transparent changes to 'Message' and defines a new function 'MyMessageList'.

  MyMessageList[_Integer]:=Hold[];
  $ModifyMessage=True;
  Unprotect[Message];

  Message[args__]/;$ModifyMessage:=
  Block[{$ModifyMessage},
     If[MyMessageList[$Line]===Hold[],
        MyMessageList[$Line]=Hold[Message[args];],
        (* else *)
        MyMessageList[$Line]=
           Insert[MyMessageList[$Line],Unevaluated[Message[args]],{1,-2}]
     ];
     Message[args]
  ];

  Protect[Message];

(*------- Now you can evaluate the following which causes messages.
--------*)

In[5]:=
    {6>I, Prime[3.4]}

    Greater::nord: Invalid comparison with I attempted.

    Prime::intpp: Positive integer argument expected in Prime[3.4].

Out[5]=
   {6>I,Prime[3.4]}

(*   Then sometime later you might want to see what messages resulted from
In[5] and the following works.  *)

In[22]:=
    messgs=MyMessageList[5]

Out[22]=
   Hold[Message[Greater::nord,I]; Message[Prime::intpp,Prime[3.4]]; ]

(*  You need to use ReleaseHold if you want to see the text of the messages.
*)

In[23]:=
    ReleaseHold[messgs]

    Greater::nord: Invalid comparison with I attempted.

    Prime::intpp: Positive integer argument expected in Prime[3.4].

(*  If  In[n]  made no messages,  MyMessageList[n]  returns  Hold[].   *)

Get Mathematica Tips, Tricks from
http://www.verbeia.com/mathematica/tips/Tricks.html

Regards,
   Ted Ersek