MathGroup Archive 2002

Search the Archive

ridiculous results with DSolve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33363] ridiculous results with DSolve
  • From: "Diego Catalano Ferraioli" <diego_catalano_ferraioli at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 05:33:20 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi all !
Actually I'm interested in implementation of algoritms based on the Lie
theory of differential equations.
I was searching for a suitable language for an efficient implementation
of these algoritms when I discovered that (for example):
 if you try to solve with Mathematica the trivial PDE

D[u[x,y],x,x]==0

   then a Dump occurs, but if you try to solve the equivalent equation

D[u[x,y],y,y]==0

  then Mathematica gives the wrong solution

                                                      u[x,y]=
C[1][x]+C[2][y] .

This result is ridiculous !!!!
How it is possible?