MathGroup Archive 2002

Search the Archive

Re: Mathematica and Maple disagree on this integral

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg33225] Re: Mathematica and Maple disagree on this integral
  • From: Ben Crain <bcrain at bellatlantic.net>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 03:20:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thanks for the clarification.  I have learned about the "principal value"
integral, but did not know that one must distinguish between various definitions
of the integral in Mathematica (or in Maple).  I think the "default" integral
should be the most general, or most useful, definition of "integral".  Clearly
(in my opinion) the most useful definition of "integral" would be (at least) the
"principal value" integral;  so if you ask for Mathematica's integral of this
function, what it returns is correct (i.e., most useful).  My standard for
judgment is very practical:  suppose you had a model for a real-word process
(e.g., designing an engine for a rocket), which required the evaluation of this
integral.  Would you reject the design because the integral is, according to
some definition, "divergent", or would you simply set the integral to zero, and
accept the model. I think almost all engineers would accept the model  (assuming
that is the only possible problem), and I am certain that the engine would work
(assuming everthing else in the engine's design is correct).  That means that
the "principal value" integral really is the "correct" answer. Other integrals
are simply wrong!

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net