MathGroup Archive 2000

Search the Archive

Re: DeleteRepetitions summary

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23806] Re: [mg23724] DeleteRepetitions summary
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <andrzej at tuins.ac.jp>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 03:00:12 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

It is of course true that Carl Woll's solution is neat and very ingenious
but I think it is actually rather more than that. What is  almost miraculous
about it is that it seems to have a linear running time. To realize how
remarkable this is it is enough to recall that fast sorting algorithms like
quicksort generally have a running time of n*log(n). This means that
assymptotically Carl's function is guaranteed to be faster than any one that
uses sorting, which seems to include almost every other case.

A pretty convincing  explanation of  how Carl's function manages to run in
linear time was at the time when it first appeared given by Hartmut Wolf, so
anyone interested in it can find it in the archive of this list.

Andrzej Kozlowski

--
Andrzej Kozlowski
Toyama International University, JAPAN

For Mathematica related links and resources try:
<http://www.sstreams.com/Mathematica/>

on 6/5/00 2:09 PM, Preston   Nichols at pnichols at wittenberg.edu wrote