MathGroup Archive 1999

Search the Archive

How to make lines of axes being seen inside a sphere in 3D space?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16752] How to make lines of axes being seen inside a sphere in 3D space?
  • From: "Min-Wei Wong" <minwei at gate.sinica.edu.tw>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 02:23:58 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

 Hi!
   I got some problems with SphericalPlot3D. I combined
the x, y, and z axes together with a sphere in 3D space,
for examples :

<<Graphics`ParametricPlot3D`
Grph1 = SphericalPlot3D[1,{theta,0,Pi},{phi,0,2  Pi}]

grd = {Line[{{-2.5,0,0},{2.5,0,0}}],
           Line[{{0,-2.5,0},{0,2.5,0}}],
           Line[{{0,0,-2.5},{0,0,2.5}}]}//Graphics3D

txt = {Text["X",{3,0,0},{0,0}],
           Text["Y",{0,3,0},{0,0}],
           Text["Z",{0,0,3},{0,0}]}//Graphics3D

Show[grd,grph1,txt,Boxed->False,AspectRatio->1,
PlotRange->All,ColorOutput->GrayLevel]

  and the output shows 3 lines just attached the surface
on the sphere. What steps should I take to make the surface
of the sphere 'transparent' and 3 axes being seen through
the origin? I've tried the option of [WireFrame] but it just
shows : {WireFrame is not a type of graphics.}!

  Besides, Could I plot the arrows on the lines of axes, and
increase the mesh of surface on the sphere?

  thanks.

minwei
minwei at gate.sinica.edu.tw